This was a pretty low-key month for me, especially since we had super cold wintery-weather, and my hibernation mode was still in effect. Here’s what was going on in the kitchen:
- It was my friend Jen’s birthday and I made these Black Bottom Cupcakes for her little celebration. They’re chocolate cupcakes with chocolate chip cheesecake centres. I haven’t made them for years, and this reminded me how good they are. Must make again!
- I went to Lavelle for a birthday dinner, and despite a super obnoxious hostess, had a great time. I had the most delicious creamy mushroom soup with truffle oil as a starter, and then their heritage pork chop for dinner, which was good, not great (in my opinion). Should have had steak frites which is my usual go-to anytime I’m somewhere with French food. Lavelle has a pretty chill vibe, and it’s fun because it’s on the roof, so you get nice views of the city. I’d definitely go back for a cocktail (just one, ‘ cause they’re like $28 each).
- On St. Patrick’s Day I was over at my friend Heather‘s house, and she gave me this Rhine Stone Cowboy to drink (pictured above) which I actually really liked! She’s literally becoming a Beer Sommelier, so she can totally match-make you to the beer of your dreams.
- The best dinner I made this month (besides these Mini Beef & Guinness Pies) was a batch of Smitten’s Everyday Meatballs, and this Spinach & Parmesan Orzo from Table for Two.
Other non-foodie things I was obsessed with this month:
- I couldn’t take the FOMO of not watching Big Little Lies, especially since I loved the book so much and my hair idol Reese Witherspoon was producing and starring, so I subscribed to HBO Canada. I don’t regret it, I’m totally loving it, even though I know how it’s going to end. The last episode is on this Sunday!
- HBO Canada also comes with On Demand, so I watched a season of Girls that I missed, and Issa Rae’s show Insecure which I’m OBSESSED with! Kristine is trying to convince me to catch up on Game of Thrones so I can watch the new season this summer. I may try, if only so I finally know what Chris & Andy are talking about during their podcast.
- Didn’t read that much this month after I got home from Florida, but did read What was Mine, as recommended by Danielle, which I liked, and You Can’t Touch My Hair, which was so great.
- I went to see Beauty & The Beast and had to physically restrain myself from not singing the songs out loud. It was so great, especially if you were a kid in the ’90s and had the VHS copy of the cartoon version in the puffy white case and watched it 1,000 times like I did.