August was long, hot and sad over here on Planet Byn. I won’t get into the details, and instead do what I do best, which is talk about the food:
- My friend Jenn had me over for a pool day at her new house and I brought this S’mores Pie with me. I haven’t made this in about three years and I HAVE NO IDEA WHY I waited so long because that thing is heaven on earth!
- I went to hang out with my new 1 week old friend Francis, and I brought his parents a care package of this Summer Squash Pasta Bake, Cheddar Chive Biscuits (to make into breakfast sandwiches!), and Maple Walnut Granola.
- It was too freaking hot to cook for most of this month, so Kristine introduced me to Maro’s. I just ordered exactly what she was having, which was essentially a delicious burrito bowl with chicken shawarma on top. I swear I could eat shawarma every.single.day and not get sick of it.
- Tasty G was reviewing Angelo’s Coal Fired Pizza, and I got to tag along. Everything we ate (pictured above) was absolutely amazing: arancini, caprese salad, veal ragu, and pizza with figs, honey, gorgonzola and duck confit. Their pizza has a super thin crust, but it stays crisp as you eat it, which I endorse. We also had a salted caramel and pear gelato and a chocolate budino that were pretty hard to stop eating, even though we were so full.
- I went to a Jays Game with my friend Kirk who’s a season ticket holder, and this is a Public Service Announcement from him to you: you are allowed to take whatever food you want INTO Rogers Centre. He legit walked in there with a large pizza from Pizza Nova for us to eat. I find this so strange, but so good to know.
- I got to tag along AGAIN with Tasty G as she reviewed the Me.N.U food truck. We got to try a chicken roti taco, duck poutine and fried rice balls stuff with beef – like an asian arancini.
- Kristine got a special treat for her birthday: Pretzel M&M Cookies with Pretzel M&Ms that I smuggled back from Chicago (can’t find them anywhere here).
- My month ended the exact same way it started: in someone else’s pool. The Brunette Baker had us over for a BBQ and pool day and her epic S’Mores Buffet around her fire pit. It’s legendary.
Other non-foodie things I was obsessed with this month:
- I feel like Harry Potter & The Cursed Child came and went without even a blip on the pop culture radar. I read it in like two days, and quickly forgot about it as well. I know a lot of die hard HP fans aren’t even reading it.
- I’m not even ashamed to say my only other pop culture obsession this month was Bachelor in Paradise.