Uhhh…this month was a bust y’all. I didn’t get up to much food-wise as I was knocked out with the flu for a week, and the polar vortex had me in major hibernation mode. Just a few notable things:
- I made a birthday cake for my friend Molly at the very beginning of the month (pictured above). It was a triple layer chocolate cake (recipe here) filled with Chocolate Malt Frosting and covered in My Favourite Buttercream. It was amazing if I do say so myself.
- My friends Kristine & Nicole came over for our annual Golden Globes feast. I made a pasta dish that I’ll blog about soon, as well as Caesar Salad and this amazing Garlic Rosemary Bread from Take a Megabite. We ate that Chocolate Bourbon Tart for dessert.
- I met up with Tatiana, Lillian and her little cutie pie son for lunch today at Bannock. I was planning on my regular turkey burger but was swayed by the Winterlicious menu, and ended up having a kale caesar salad, roasted pork shoulder, garlic fries and mustard greens kimchi, and chocolate cannoli for dessert. All for $15. That’s a steal of a deal right there.
Other non-foodie things I was obsessed with this month:
- I’m not quite sure how I forgot to mention this in my December wrap-up, but it goes without saying that I’m obsessed with the new Beyonce album, and have pretty much had it on constant rotation since December. I LOVED her performance at the Grammys with Jay Z, where according to my Mom “It was like being in their bedroom!”. Amazing!
- Saw Jay at the ACC last Monday too, and it was like I could feel the winter blahs lifting. He never disappoints.
- I’m all caught up on Scandal, and now just patiently waiting for it to return on February 27th! #copewithoutpope
- My co-worker gave me four seasons of The Good Wife to watch, and I burned through the first one when I had the flu. I like it, but after Scandal, it seems to move really slowly. And for someone who watched Don’t Tell Mom the Babysitter’s Dead, like infinite times as a tween/teen, I still love Josh Charles.
- I’m so behind on my Oscar movies, but did see Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit last week. Just a great popcorn flick to get you through a -30 Friday night!
- Only read one book this month but it was a good one! The Husband’s Secret by Liane Moriarty was on Entertainment Weekly’s Top 10 in Fiction for 2013 and I flew through it. What would you do if you found a letter addressed to you from your very alive spouse to be opened only after they were dead? Ooooh, how could you not tear through this one?