Baked Sunday Mornings: Antique Caramel Cake

by byn on November 24, 2013

in Baked Sunday Mornings

Print Friendly

Antique Caramel Cake

When I see a Baked layer cake on our Baked Sunday Morning Schedule, the first thing that crosses my mind is if I have a free day to make it. There’s usually three cake layers involved, a cooked frosting, and a few other elements that require some time (see: making two batches of salted caramel or shelling and chopping a plethora of pistachios).

But! This Antique Caramel Cake is only two layers, and is frosted with a quick cream cheese caramel frosting. I knew I only needed an hour or so to pull it together, and the result is pretty amazing. The cake itself is super hydrated and soft, probably because of all the buttermilk in the batter, and the icing is tangy and sweet.

One quick note about the frosting: I mixed it up and chilled it overnight, and this morning when I frosted the cake, it was firm enough to spread. Within 10-15 minutes or so, it started to soften and become a little too gloopy to pipe, so I just slathered the remaining icing on the cake. I think it needs more icing sugar if you need it to be firm enough to decorate. Other than that, this was a delicious breakfast will be a nice treat with tea later on today.

I decided against the extra caramel sauce, only because I’m baking cookies for the rest of the day, and don’t need any more sugar!

You can find the recipe here!

More Baked Sunday Mornings here!

{ 8 comments… read them below or add one }

Chelly November 26, 2013 at 10:20 pm

Love your black and white plates. Your cake looks soooo good! Makes me want to make it again!

Maddie November 26, 2013 at 1:09 pm

Your cake looks great! And a lot of bakers had problems with this frosting–it’s super tricky!

jill November 26, 2013 at 1:01 pm

robyn – your comment about having it for breakfast was SO hilarious. i mean, really, who hasn’t had cake for breakfast?!

Dafna | Stellina Sweets November 25, 2013 at 10:28 pm

Nice job, Byn! Yes, I’m sure it was a nice, um, “treat with tea”. ;-) (Just for the record, I fully support cake for breakfast.) My frosting was very soft as well, though I managed to get it onto the cake. I refrigerated the frosted cake overnight, and the frosting set really well. Frosting is never my strong point, and I think the key with cream cheese is to mix it as little as possible. The more you mix, the more it loses its fluffiness and structure. At least in theory! Also… it took you AN HOUR?! Wow, I am such a slow-poke in the kitchen!

SandraM November 24, 2013 at 5:56 pm

I thought it was going to be a full day job too…hence going with cupcakes. But it really is a quick cake to pull together. I’m definitely making it again, but in cake form. I didn’t make the caramel sauce either…but that was just me forgetting to. It looks lovely as a layer cake. I’d love a slice!

Candy November 24, 2013 at 4:54 pm

While I love the salted caramel sauce, this cake is wonderful with or without it!

Yael Even November 24, 2013 at 2:02 pm

Yours looks wonderful! I had trouble with the frosting setting up too. Trying to figure out how I can remedy the situation next time. Any ideas?

byn November 24, 2013 at 3:53 pm

I’m not sure Yael…cream cheese frosting is notorious for being runny, at least in my experience. Maybe adding another cup or so of icing sugar would make it more stiff?