Baked Sunday Mornings: Heartland Turtle Bars

by byn on August 26, 2012

in Baked Sunday Mornings, Bars & Squares

Print Friendly

It’s been a hot minute since my last Baked Sunday Morning! Mostly just because of other baking projects I’ve had going on this summer, plus the fact that these recipes tend to be so involved, and sometimes you just don’t feel like spending a lot of time in the kitchen during a nice sunny day (i.e. you’d rather be drinking Peach Margaritas poolside).

Anyway, I’d say this was one of the simplest, most straightforward recipes so far from Baked Explorations, although I skipped the Blueberry Parfaits, so maybe that was actually the easiest one. You don’t even need to bust out the mixer for these bars! Crazy! What’s going on here is a simple brown sugar oatmeal crust, pressed into a pan, sprinkled with chocolate chips and toasted pecans, covered in a quick caramel, with more of the crust mixture crumbled overtop. That’s it! The result is a super quick, rich, sweet square, perfect for sharing with friends.

I feel like this treat reminded me a bit of a Hello Dolly square, all that’s missing is some coconut tossed in with the chocolate chips and pecans.

You can find the recipe here!

More Baked Sunday Mornings here!

{ 8 comments… read them below or add one }

Tatiana August 28, 2012 at 1:59 pm

Ahhh! I now know how much better is involved! ;-O
Just kidding, LOVED THESE, thank u Byn! :)))
My husband was like, “Why wont she move in with us??!” for two days it took us to eat the whole load, so I guess if you are ever looking for a place to crash downtown, you are officially invited! (not that you weren’t before anyhow)

erinvsfat August 27, 2012 at 12:01 am

YUM!!! These would do well on a cross border road trip! #YOLO

Byn August 27, 2012 at 6:31 am

there’s no way you would eat these if you knew how much butter is involved.

Littlebakerbunny August 26, 2012 at 10:49 pm

My husband also commented that these seemed like they could use some coconut! I have never heard of a Hello Dolly square, but now I want to try one! I love your photo — beautiful bars!

Chelly McCrillis August 26, 2012 at 4:24 pm

I thought exactly the same thing about the Hello Dolly squares! They were good none the less and yours look amazing!

Sheri August 26, 2012 at 3:06 pm

Great photo, and I agree – I like the mix of super easy recipes in the book. You’re right – blueberry parfait was extraordinarily simple and soooo good.

Bourbonnatrix August 26, 2012 at 2:13 pm

Coconut sounds good! I almost drizzled more chocolate and caramel on top, but after tasting how sweet it is, i’m glad i left them plain! I LOVE how you set up that picture by the way! Your bars look amazing!

Candy August 26, 2012 at 10:19 am

I was thinking this morning that these would be great with coconut too! I loved how easy these were too! Can you send a peach margarita my way?