I feel like Kramer right now with his Mackinaw Peaches: Jerry, this is a miracle of nature that exists for a brief period! It’s like the aurora borealis! He’s right, because there’s really only a few more weeks to take advantage of amazing local peaches. I’ve had a huge basket on my counter for the last few weeks that I keep restocking every weekend. And so, like we did with my early summer fruit obsession (that’s rhubarb), this week is going to be all about my late summer fruit obsession. It’s PEACH WEEK on Planet Byn!
A couple of weeks ago, I was over at Lydia’s and she made us a little snack of toasted baguette with a schmear of goat cheese and slice of peach. The very next day, Joy posted a similar version with fresh mozzarella and a slice of tomato and some basil. I mashed up the two, and here we have my take on it!
If you think that peach and tomato are a weird combo, you’re not alone, because I totally did too. But they just work so well together here! Anything with fresh peaches is a win, and will never taste better than right now. I definitely ate this for dinner, but of course this is such a light, fresh little appetizer or snack for these last few weeks of summer.
Peach, Tomato & Goat Cheese Crostini
Source: Joy the Baker + Lydia
Yield: as many as you want!
– fresh baguette
– goat cheese
– nice ripe red tomato, sliced
– fresh juicy peach, sliced
– basil, thinly sliced
– coarse salt & freshly cracked black pepper
- Slice your baguette and toast (I stuck mine in the toaster, Lydia uses a toaster oven. You could also grill your bread if you have a BBQ!)
- Spread goat cheese on each baguette, and top with a slice of tomato and peach.
- Sprinkle on fresh basil, and freshly cracked black pepper.