Signs of summer:
1. I purchased two tub chairs, a little table and some snap-on tiles for my balcony, which previously resembled a jail cell.
2. I’ve started thinking about S’MORES again.
Last summer I made s’mores cupcakes, s’mores cookies, s’mores pie, and two attempts at homemade graham crackers. This summer I have different versions of all of the above treats to try, plus I finally need to get my homemade marshmallow on. All of this will culminate in a S’MORES PARTY (which I first talked about on my blogiversary) at the end of the summer.
So this is a quick little s’mores treat I’ve had bookmarked for forever and a day. Years ago, my sister-in-law used to make these addictive little treats where you covered saltine crackers with butter and brown sugar, baked until bubbly and covered with chocolate, and they tasted like Skor Bars.
This treat is a version of that, where you sub in graham crackers for the saltines, and load on marshmallows, milk chocolate squares and semi-sweet chocolate chips on top. It’s super duper sweet, gooey and amazing. I brought these to my niece’s birthday party, and let’s just say they were way more popular than the Strawberry Jell-O Salad!
S’mores Cracker Candy
Source: Baked Perfection
Yield: umm..forgot to count
1 box of graham crackers (you won’t need the whole box…I just forgot to keep track of how many I used)
3/4 cup ( 1 1/2 sticks) butter
3/4 cup brown sugar
3 cups mini marshmallows
4 Jersey Milk chocolate bars, broken up into squares (this is what I used…you can use any brand of milk chocolate)
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (I liked the contrast)
- Preheat the oven to 350, and line a 15×10″ baking sheet (or whatever size, really) with foil. Spray the foil with non-stick spray.
- Line up the graham crackers on the baking sheet to cover the whole thing.
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter and brown sugar together over medium heat, stirring constantly until smooth and starts to bubble. Let boil for a minute or so. Remove from heat and pour over the graham crackers. I used an offset spatula to evenly spread the mixture over the crackers. Bake for 5-6 minutes until it starts to bubble.
- Remove from oven and immediately sprinkle on the marshmallows, chocolate squares and chocolate chips. Return to the oven for 2-3 minutes, until the marshmallows start to puff up. *Warning* If you decide to broil this to give the marshmallows a toasty look, do not walk away from the oven. Marshmallow goes from tan to on fire in a matter of seconds.
- Chill overnight, then cut into squares.