Baked Sunday Mornings: Chocolate Marshmallow Cups

by byn on April 8, 2012

in Baked Sunday Mornings, Candy

Print Friendly

Ah, homemade marshmallow. I love you so much, but you never work out for me. Last summer I had two pretty epic marshmallow failures on a couple of s’mores projects (cupcakes + pie), so I was a little nervous going into this week’s Baked Sunday Morning selection.

There were two main reasons I decided to tackle this recipe. First of all, Easter! I usually like to have at least one marshmallow egg or bunny at some point in my candy consumption and I figured if I could make these from scratch that would be pretty awesome. Secondly, the recipe contains one key piece of instruction: “You do not want to whisk the marshmallow to soft peaks; it should be slightly looser than that”. BINGO! This was my main challenge last summer; my marshmallow mixtures never really thickened.

I’m so happy to report that these turned out uh-mah-zing (as Penny would say on Happy Endings). I don’t really have anything to add other than that I used regular sized cupcake liners instead of minis, both to save time, and because I wanted a larger marshmallow:chocolate ratio. I would also say that trying to add the marshmallow to a piping bag was a messy and futile mission for me. I just used a spoon after that and this was perfect.

You can find the recipe here!

Brainstorm: smoosh one of these cups between two graham crackers! Oh my god, I’m going to do this tonight.

{ 11 comments… read them below or add one }

Chelly McCrillis April 10, 2012 at 9:56 am

They look uh-maz-ing !! :)

Sheri April 9, 2012 at 12:51 am

Sooo cute. And I covet your Easter cupcake liners. Adorable.

susanelester April 8, 2012 at 11:29 pm

Very nicely done! I love the Easter cupcake papers, too. You’re a braver soul than I am, but I would have spooned the marshmallow filling instead of piping, too. I did a make-up recipe in the interest of time this week.

Happy Easter!

Candy April 8, 2012 at 5:14 pm

Looks great! I wish my marshmallow filling had the consistency that yours do.

Krissy April 8, 2012 at 4:58 pm

Such fun and pretty Easter treats…love your colorful and Eastery liners. And, the large size looks good to me. Nice candy making!

Mike April 8, 2012 at 1:53 pm

Beautiful cups Robyn! I love your liners – so festive! I’m going to try these next time – in answer to your question: I just used the Pound Plus bars from Trader Joes – semi sweet and I had some bittersweet, just mixed them. Didn’t do anything special – just melted in microwave, turned out nice and glossy. Wasn’t high end chocolate, that’s for sure. Happy Easter!

Danielle April 8, 2012 at 12:41 pm

Maybe I will need to reconsider my dislike for the marshmallow chocolate combination! These look great and would taste even better between two graham crackers!

frugalfeeding April 8, 2012 at 12:08 pm

Those look truly wonderful! Happy Easter! What a treat.

Littlebakerbunny April 8, 2012 at 11:59 am

Love the fact that you used regular-sized cupcake liners — I am such a fan of the marshmallow filling that I was craving a higher marshmallow-to-chocolate ratio! I also love your bunny cupcake liners – so cute!

Elaine April 8, 2012 at 11:32 am

Great photos, Robyn! I am glad this recipe was a success for you. I was also surprised at how easy the marshmallow was to make and that it was so delicious – and this coming from someone was doesn’t care for marshmallow. It has changed my tune having homemade. Your mallow cups look perfect. Happy Easter!

bourbonnatrix April 8, 2012 at 10:36 am

they look delicious! and i love the easter cupcake liners! so adorable! great job on these!