It’s currently 76 degrees in my condo (without the heat on) and the sun is shining in here, lighting the whole place up (and showing me all the places I need to dust, but whatever). Can this really be January? The month when we’re supposed to want to hibernate and eat comfort food?
I first made this pulled beef on my Christmas break, and I’m having it again tonight when my parents and my Aunt come over for dinner. It’s comfort food for sure, and made in the slowcooker, but with the barbecue sauce in there, it’s also reminding me of summer on this sunny day.
Like every other pulled chicken, beef or pork in the archives, this is great on a fluffy bun or made into tacos.
Pulled Braised Beef & Onions
Source: Dinner with Julie
Yield: I’m going to say this will serve 6-8 people
1 eye of round or top round beef roast (I showed this recipe to the butcher at the grocery store, because cuts of beef confuse me, and what I ended up with was a “inside blade boneless pot roast”)
2 onions, halved and thinly sliced
1 1/2 cups barbecue sause (choose your favourite kind or make your own)
1 1/2 cups beef broth
2 tbsp brown sugar
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
2 tbsp grainy mustard
5 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- Place the beef roast in your slowcooker. (If you feel like it, you can also brown the roast in a skillet over medium-high heat before doing this, but I was feeling lazy, so I skipped it). Sprinkle the onions over top.
- Pour over the rest of the ingredients, set slowcooker to low, and let cook overnight.
- In the morning, remove the beef to a big glass baking dish, and shred with two forks, removing all the fat. Put the lid on the dish or cover with foil, and stick it in the fridge.
- Strain the sauce into a saucepan, and set the saucepan in the fridge for a few hours. (This sounds gross, but the fat will collect at the top of the sauce and harden, making it easy to remove).
- About half an hour before you eat, remove the fat from the sauce, and simmer the sauce to reduce it a little bit. Pour it over the beef, stir, and reheat the whole thing in a 350 oven for about 20 minutes or so.